Thursday, August 4, 2011

DIY Candelabra

Last year I saw this great tutorial for a huge candelabra made by Sandra over at Sawdust and Paper Scraps.  I do love a good candelabra you know, and a huge life size one was just too good to pass up!  I truly am SO glad there are some genius DIY-ers out there.

The tutorial on the website is all you need to know how to do it (linked above), but I thought I'd share how my own DIY adventure went.

Here is how mine looked by the end of today's tinkering, but I made more changes to it here.


It actually didn't take as long as I thought to get all the old lamps I needed, although I think I just got lucky.  I went into the thrift store two or three times and found just what I needed.

I forgot to take a picture of the lamp for the base, but it looked groovy and brassy like this one:


And I forgot to take a picture of the lamp for the top (notice a trend here?) before I painted it and gutted it, but here it is slightly reconstructed.

 You get the general idea.

I put everything together and here it is...almost completed.


It sure was fun cutting off the threaded rod to the right size (no, not really).  But once it was I was so happy to put everything together.  I didn't want mine quite as tall as Sandra's, so I got a smaller length of PVC pipe.  Time to spray paint the rest black!

Wal-mart just happened to sell little LED candles in the EXACT size I needed. Whoo-hoo!  I already had the larger candle that goes in the middle, so that was an added bonus.  And I really CANNOT decide if I want to do the beads or not.  It looks a little too modern to me.  So I tried it with a touch of moss to see how I like it.



My 6 year old son asked me if he could use it as a night-light in his room.  I love that kid.  :)


 Hmmm...the jury is still out.  I just can't decide.  But I do have a few months until Halloween, so if I decide to do the beads I can always add them closer to the big day.

Overall, a very fun project!  I'm so excited to put it on display soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...